Why join a swim team?
If you live in southeast Texas, you know how important it is to get your kids cooled down in the summer. We’re always looking for the next great pool or lake activity.
But for those of us who want to take swimming beyond staying cool, why should we consider joining a swim team? Here are a few reasons why The Woodlands Marlins Swim Team thinks it's important.
Swimming is a skill you can use for life.
Pools, lakes, rivers, the Gulf of Mexico. Safety is imperative if you are around water. A swim team helps to improve a child’s swimming mechanics and technique so that they can better handle themselves in the water. Not that you can ever take your eye off them – but better swimming skills helps save lives.
Furthermore, it’s giving your child the opportunity to leverage those skills for the rest of their lives. Many forms of exercise are hard on the joints, and we can’t do them later in life. But swimming is a low-impact sport that people do at any age.
Swim team friends are the best.
You train together. You compete with each other. You support each other. At practices and meets, you make lifelong friends with your teammates.
What’s great about summer swim leagues is that there is even more of an opportunity for that. It’s more relaxed, focusing on getting kids to enjoy swimming over the long term.
Swimming teaches life lessons.
Being a part of a swim team teaches you a lot.
- Dedication & hard work: If you want to improve over the long term, you have to put in the time and effort. Sheer size or natural ability will get you ahead in some sports. With swimming, you get out of it what you put in.
- Teamwork: You support your teammates and they support you. When you are working hard and supporting each other, you make lifelong friends.
- Resilience: You aren’t always chosen and you may have a bad race. Learning to overcome challenges and keep going can be applied to all aspects of life.
- Sportsmanship: Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Swimming helps you learn how to handle both.
- Community: Downtime at meets and practice builds a bond between swimmers and also between parents. You have even more of an opportunity for this in summer swim teams.
The Woodlands Marlins Swim Team invites all swimmers to join our team, 4 to 18 years old. Our small team gives individual attention to the swimmers, helping them improve their swimming technique. We are lucky to have the best facilities in the area with a convenient practice schedule for our busy families.
We welcome you to register today!